Beyond Decking (BD) Planks & STIRDECK™ Panels are founded on the Next Generation (NG) 463L pallet design. A four-year DoD effort focused on optimizing the overall design and fabrication approach resulting in an all Aluminum Pallet / Panel with incredable structual performance. Like the Pallet, STIRDECK™ Panels are fabricated from a multi-hollow extrusion,(BD Planks) joined by friction stir welding. BDE is North America’s only supplier of this advanced designed structural aluminum product for residential and commercial builders.
The same engineering expertise and product quality that charaterizes STIRDECK™ Panels are built into our standard Framing and Railing Systems.
Beyond Decking (BD) Planks
The BD Plank is unique in that as a deck surface it also provides the load structural support. The planks transfer the loads (like a joist) into the frame beams.
- The strength of the planks are 5x higher than most alternative decking product like composite or other traditional alumimum decking
- Reduces the number of floor joists required
- Speeds up installation due to decreased weight and fewer supports
- Excellent solution for unique elevated flooring – Low Deflection, L480 or higher optional
- 2015 IBC & 2020 ADM Compliant
- BD Universal Profile Width – 9.5”
- Profile thickness 2.25”
- Profile lbs./ft – 2.534 lbs.
- Any cut back length up to 48 feet
BD Plank Coating Options:
- AaCron Anodizing – Many color options, Size – 5’ x 40’ panels can be anodized.
- Powder coating – all panel sizes can be powder coated to a durable finely textured finish.
BD Plank Engineering Analysis Report:
This report summary is the results of an engineering analysis based on the requirements of the 2015 International Building Code, 2015 International Residential Code, and 2020 Aluminum Design Manual, accepted engineering practices, and industry design standards.
Analysis and Findings:
The Planks are Aluminum 6063-T6 multi-hollow extrusions, typically used as a structural beam for decking, flooring, roofing, or construction. The deck products were analyzed using the following beam configuration to determine the maximum allowable loads (PSF) based on span, deflection, and material fiberstress limitations:
- Single Span – 9.5” aluminum plank simply supported at both ends
All beam configurations were analyzed using five maximum deflection allowances L/XXX, the L stands for the length, so if you have a beam 10ft long the allowable deflection limit is (10ft x12in/ft) / 360 = .333, if using L360, typical building code requirement for decking or flooring. The table shows the end results of the analysis for a single span deflection load limits in pounds per square foot (PSF), at 10ft (120”) joist span / L360 = 40.2 PSF. Typical deck building code requires it be designed to support a minimum 40-psf live load. A 10’ wide x 40’ long BD Plank or STIRDECK™ and frame system, with zero joist beams is so unique, nothing like it on the market.
Allowable stresses are based upon the shape of the decking extrusion, material properties, and length of the unsupported span. All calculations can be found within the detailed report on file.
The significantly high strength to weight ratio makes it possible to offer lightweight structural deck solutions never seen before.